Well, I did spend a large part of my day off yesterday wrestling with the shoulder piece for Project Breyna.
A large part of the evening was dedicated to convincing the dogs that the fireworks the neighbors were setting off practically over our house were not going to get them. Our very anxious dog, Talon, hated them the most.
How can I best summarize yesterday’s sewing? Let’s see …
1) Attaching jersey knit fabric to sew-in interfacing and batting is my new least favorite activity.
2) I am still concerned that the headpiece and shoulder piece are not going to play nice together all said and done.
3) I am not a fan of sewing decent sized, strangely shaped pieces of fabric.
4) I feel like I might need a way to keep the “shape” of the shoulders once done. If I do, I might try using craft foam and a heat gun. I am hoping the velcro will remove the need for this, however.
I did make it to Hancock to resupply on ivory and yellow thread, bias tape, and some of the black jewels I will need for the finishing touches. However, I forgot to look for some less-scary velcro than I used for the belt. Ooops.
Shoulders. I spent the large part of yesterday building two shoulder pieces by attaching extra firm sew-in interfacing on the bottom, some batting in the center, and the jersey knit fabric on the top. I was not pleased with how much stretching occurred as I sewed the knit onto these other pieces. There are bumps and the sewing is not super clean. I am once again telling myself that when I am done, nobody will know the difference – since I will be covering the edges in bias tape at the end.
The danglies you see at the top of the shoulder piece were done slightly differently – I left the extra firm interfacing out of these pieces. After attaching batting to the fabric, and then sewing the two pieces together, I turned them right side out. I stitched across the top (which is still open in the picture above) and then overcasted the edges. The danglies will be attached to the underside of the shoulder pieces, either by velcro or by stitching. I can’t decide what the best route is. I would prefer the stitching option, but we’ll see. Would be horrible to lose a danglie in the middle of DragonCon due to faulty velcro.
Below you’ll see the decorative things I did to the top of the shoulder piece. A bit of trim around the edges, a design along the center back. I noticed looking at the picture of the robes that the back of the shoulders are not quite as wide as the front. I decided I would adjust for this when I attach the two piece together – the trim has been attached appropriately and a line of pins on each side indicates where I will stitch them together. I actually hand stitched some jewels onto the danglies last night. Another set belongs on the shoulders in the little diamond shapes at the front. I also intend to glue these down with fabric glue in addition to the hand stitching.
After I stitch down that bias tape and add some trim to the danglies, it will be time to piece this monster together. And turn it right side out. I will leave you with a shot of the many different jewelry bits I have acquired to attach to various places on this costume. Fun stuff – more hand sewing! 😛