Well as usual, some things went wrong. I didn’t measure well, and the dragon’s wingspan was larger than would fit in the cage. Boo. Thankfully I had lots more clay, so I redid the wings, and made him some new, less awkward arms. Both arms have digits / talons even!
I used gears (purchased at Michael’s and on eBay) for the dragon’s back ridges, and tried to put some patchwork textures on his body, to make him look like he was built out of metal that has been pieced together. The clay I used was Super Sculpey, which bakes in the oven to harden.
Once the new wings and arms were done, I had to paint the dragon. This was more of an ordeal than I expected – the metallic acrylics I was using did not want to stick to the clay. So I base coated with a thicker white acrylic, and decided to wait on painting the metallic colors. Below is a shot of my dragon after the base coat and a bit of silver.
I mostly finished yesterday, then came home to finalize the last bits of painting. Here are all the pieces drying. I even spray painted a bit of cardboard to sit on top of the candle holder that plagues the bottom of my dragon’s cage with its presence.
I used super glue when all the paint was dry to attach wings and Arms v2.0. I checked to make sure he fit in the cage. The arms stuck out to far – I quickly pulled them off before the glue set! Then I fixed the arms. Here are some shots of him after gluing.
I left him sitting over night to solidify the super glue, then in the morning I glued his little dragon booty to the cardboard so he doesn’t wander too much around his cage. No pictures of him in the cage for now … those will have to wait till Saturday at Dragon*Con when its time to wear the costume! 😀