Space Changes!

I am on travel for work this week, at a professional conference for my day job as a human factors engineer.  The city of Boston is neat, the sessions at the conference have been interesting, and it has been good to see old colleagues and friends.  But alas, no sewing machine.  However, I do have something sewing related I can blog about. 🙂  Small victories.  For me, I guess – you poor saps have to read it.

I decided a week or two ago that it was time to turn the third bedroom upstairs from a “stuff room” into a “craft room”.  My husband and I both got tired of me taking up the dining room table, and I got tired of having to clear all my projects out when we were entertaining guests, etc.  It has disadvantages, too, such as the fact that heat rises (even though it is fall).

I pulled out our $20 folding table that we got several years ago from Target figuring it would do for now.  The first time I started sewing on my machine while it was on this table, however, I was convinced that it was not going to work for any length of time.  Stitching was moving my whole machine up and down as my needle was going up and down.  I can only figure that is not good for the machine.  So I have ordered a sewing table.  I hear from my husband that it has arrived while I am on my trip this week, so maybe y’all will have a picture sometime next week.  In the meantime, here is my new setup.

I acquired a less tiny ironing board – also less sticky.  I will be much more careful when using heat n bond in the future.  I have lots of floor space sans italian greyhounds for cutting when I need to, and conveniently some old desk chairs.  Well, admittedly one is more of a stool that used to be a chair.  I liked using it for a Rock Band drummer stool.  The two barstools in the corner are not part of the decor so much as they did not belong anywhere in the rest of my house – they will hold my scraps.

I do have drawers for my fabric, but alas my current stash doesn’t fit completely in the drawers.  So it lines the walls as well.  Also please note Cthulu bag, sadly and quietly awaiting the day when I will feel like replacing its tentacles with purchased bag handles.  Maybe that will be soon.

During this craft room creation, I got a good look at all of the fabric I own.  Below is my current fabric stash.  Sometime in the near future, I intend to do a post in the relatively near future elaborating on my plans for some of these fabrics.  And possibly on plans for fabrics I have not yet purchased.  I intend to have a list of projects and fabrics all planned out and every time I finish one, I can just pick a new one from the list.

It’s good to have a plan right?  With this fabric, I think my list will be kind of long …

12 comments for “Space Changes!

1. October 25, 2012 at 7:47 am

Yay! Everyone needs there own cyclone craft room to shut the door on now and then. Having to haul things around and clean up takes too much creative time up! How will it stay sans greyhounds?

• jadesabre9
      October 25, 2012 at 7:51 am

We don’t let the dogs upstairs (baby gate). Penny would probably tumble down the stairs anyway; stairs confuse her.

• October 25, 2012 at 9:39 am

Ah- a sewingroom must have! I tried to do some cuting out last week with 1 in my lap and 2 on the pattern. Not so good. I can live thru the mean stares thru the gate!

2. October 25, 2012 at 7:47 am

Hooray for craft rooms! Well, hooray for them when they’re upstairs and it’s cool outside. Not so much in the summer. I cannot wait to see your fabric plan list. I’m guessing it’ll be a couple of pages long. 🙂

• jadesabre9
      October 25, 2012 at 7:51 am

Hehe. Are you utilizing your upstairs craft room now? I think we need a post of your space up there too! 😀

• October 25, 2012 at 7:58 am

I’m not, but I should. The giant pile of projects, notions, patterns, etc. (and a big, clunky sewing machine) on the dining room table all the time is not awesome.

3. jadesabre9
    October 25, 2012 at 7:51 am

4. October 25, 2012 at 9:39 am

5. October 26, 2012 at 8:38 am

Yay, you have a sewing room! Will you use the former sewing table as your cutting table? Mine is just like that, and since I’m tall and don’t like to bend over, I propped up my table on 4 paint cans. I would love to do a sewing room blog post, but I’m in the middle of moving most of my stuff to mom’s giant basement sewing room. When I get that all finished, I’ll blog about it for sure.

• jadesabre9
      October 27, 2012 at 11:44 pm

The husband will be using the former sewing table as a “miniatures painting table” when he gets back from his travels. It may double as my cutting table. Probably depends how appetizing the floor looks at the time …

6. October 26, 2012 at 8:38 am