I am a perfectionist. As you will see momentarily, my Elizabeth costume has been completed. Overall, I am happy with it, but I am pretty certain I will wind up making some skirt modifications (or perhaps a completely new one) if I have enough time left in my costuming schedule prior to DragonCon.
Over the weekend, I did spend a bit of time making Elizabeth’s bird pendant out of some Sculpey clay. I thought about using some beige Super Sculpey that I had leftover from my dragon last year, but then I remembered how much of a pain in the ass that was to paint. And so I bought a tiny block of black and a tiny block of white and went to work.
1) First I drew myself a measured template on some graph paper. The dimensions of this pendant are 2″ high by about 1.5″ wide.
2) I flattened and sculpted the bottom white layer.
3) Then I created the black oval dome piece.
4) I used a toothpick to carve the bird out of another flattened piece of white clay as I don’t own any fancy clay tools.
5) I placed the black oval on top of the white bottom piece, and the bird on top of the black dome. I pressed each layer down gently, and used the toothpick to pull in the edges of the white background piece to get a scalloped look, kind of like a cameo.
6) I stuck the whole thing in the oven for about 45 min at 275 to bake.
7) After it cooled, I measured my neck and cut myself an appropriately sized piece of lace.
8) Using my self-healing mat, I found the center of my lace and super glued the lace to the back of the pendant.
9) I stitched velcro to the ends of the lace with a piece of white bias tape in between to stabilize the very pretty, but very flimsy lace choker piece.
And then I tried my whole costume on, from necklace to corset and boots.
The shoes are purposely different, but I LOVE them. I am pleased with how the corset came out. If I had to nitpick, I would have made the wrist circumference on the bolero a bit wider. I also would have added pockets to the inside of the bolero. And finally, I am unhappy with the skirt. The gathers don’t come up high enough on the left side, and it is too long (you can’t tell how high it comes up on my waist with the corset there). These shots do include the poofy slip underneath the skirt. I am still debating if I like that. My husband is not a fan. And it feels like a bit too much when I am wearing it. I feel like I might decide to make my own. Here’s a final shot of the costume.
I guess it is important to mention that I will be wearing a wig with this costume, which should be arriving this week sometime.
As for what’s next, I spent the afternoon cutting the pattern and fabric for Simplicity 4760, which I will be using as the basis for my husband’s Booker costume pants. I picked this up at the fabric store this weekend … man is it frustrating to try and find pants patterns for MEN (really any patterns for men…)! I wanted a McCall’s one because they were on sale for $1, but they had none 🙁 Other than pajamas. I decided on a pattern (instead of making my own) so that I would have instructions for the fly and zipper closure in the front. I am going to be modifying the pockets and belt loops a bit. More on this later this week! Wish me luck!