The Seeds of Costume Ideas

Yep, I am already thinking about costumes again.  Actually, burgeoning ideas began dancing around in my mind somewhere between Thanksgiving and the end of the year.  Rather than give them any credence, I let them sit back there in the dredges of my mind, creativity adding little pieces over the last few weeks.  None of them are terribly well-formed at the moment, and I certainly won’t be able to tackle all of them in 2014, but I do want to share them with you all.

1)  Ariel from The Little Mermaid.  I’m tempted by the idea of making a ballgown, which would be a sewing challenge I have not taken on yet.  I’d probably do her pink dress if I went this route, and would definitely need a dinglehopper for a prop.  Thankfully that would be an easy prop … But I admit to also considering a steampunk version of Ariel.  Either in her mermaid colors or in the blue casual peasant dress she wears as a human.

ArielOptions

2)  A Once Upon A Time costume.  Either Maleficent in this flowy piece (which would probably also satisfy my complicated dress challenge desire…) or Snow White in her white hunting gear.  I love the costumes in this show, and am sure I am not even thinking of some really cool ones that I would love to do.  Thought about doing one of the blue fairy’s costumes, but decided no since I just did a fairy costume.

OnceUponATimeIdeas

3)  A Fluttershy costume from My Little Pony.  These are super popular costumes at the moment it seems, but I know I wouldn’t be happy with simply wearing yellow clothes and a pink wig.  This is probably the costume I have thought the most about, and at the very least the costume will be fancy.  It might have a Victorian couture flare, or even go all the way steampunk.  This costume would be a lot better if I convinced friends to go as a different pony.  Here are some My Little Pony costumes I like, as they are a bit fancier.  I especially love the Rainbow Dash one on the left, but have no desire to wear Rainbow Dash myself.

PonyCostumes

4)  A Steampunk Harry Potter outfit.  I probably would not attempt to go as a character, although Steampunk Luna Lovegood is tempting.  I might be more likely to make a fun Steampunk quidditch team outfit for Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw.  Here are some inspirational shots I like for these concepts.

HarryPotter

5)  A Tardis Costume.  I’ve recently been watching the reboot of Doctor who from the beginning (starting with Chris Eccleston), and so I have Gallifrey and The Doctor on the brain.  A Dalek costume could be fun too.  This costume would likely involve a corset, although I like the idea of remaking the Simplicity 2172 costume with a Tardis flare.

TardisCostume

6)  A Quelf Costume!  I’d love to do some sort of table top game costume.  If I did Quelf, it would probably be best with a group of people.  I can’t think of many board games with fun characters.  Might be fun to go (again with friends) as a Gloom family, or an Unexploded Cow I suppose.  Anyway, if I did Quelf, Queen Spatula would be easiest, but I am quite partial to the bat as well.

QuelfCharacters

Those are my current ideas.  Which ones do you like best?  Any additional suggestions on variations?  I’m not sure where I will be wearing any of these … the only costuming event on my horizon in 2014 at the moment is Halloween.  We are thinking about skipping DragonCon this year (blasphemy, I know … I have mixed feelings about it).  Maybe I could find some more local conventions to attend and wear a costume.  Or I could just save it for the following year.  Regardless, I’m going to make the costumes because I enjoy doing so, and I will just have to find some place to wear them! 🙂

10 comments for “The Seeds of Costume Ideas

1. January 9, 2014 at 11:19 am

Maleficent!!! She was always my favorite villain. That steampunk-y Ariel is also pretty cute. I might be up for a team/group Halloween costume this year, but I know nothing about ponies or games. 🙁 A group of Disney villains could be fun, too. Just a thought.

I cannot believe you might not go to DragonCon this year!

• Tyraenna
      January 9, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I know, I will probably mope all weekend if I am not doing something more cool than DragonCon (pretty tough …). I like the Maleficent one too because the head piece and staff and pretty damn awesome in addition to the robe/dress.

2. January 9, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Steampunk Ariel is adorable. Steampunk HP costume would also be very cool. (I wonder what Hogwarts uniform looked like in the Victorian age? The dress robes were probably about the same, but their day-to-day uniform must have changed …)

Also, your Once Upon a Time picture has solved a minor mystery for me: the likely origin of McCalls 6819 – http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6819-products-47128.php?page_id=96. The big 4 do a decent number of costume patterns that are fairly obviously copied from screen patterns, and this looked like it had to be one of those but I had no idea what they were copying! The jacket especially makes it pretty clear, I think …

• Tyraenna
      January 9, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Oh wow, that pattern is pretty clearly the one they used! Thanks for figuring that out – will make life a TON easier if I decide to go this route 🙂

3. Sally
    January 9, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I LOVE the idea of Ariel’s pink ballgown and a dinglehopper.

• Tyraenna
      January 9, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I’d also have to get s plush Flounder or Scully or Sebastian I think.

4. Kim
    January 16, 2014 at 12:14 am

Love… love all of those ideas!! You are so incredibly talented! I just want to ask if you would PLEASE allow me to make the jewelry for whatever costume you decide on!! I would so much like to collaborate with you something like this!! 🙂

• Tyraenna
      January 16, 2014 at 7:13 am

Definitely! The ear cuffs and toe ring that you made for the ice fairy costume were AMAZING! I’d be very proud to wear more of your stuff!

5. February 25, 2014 at 12:19 pm

As one Elizabeth cosplayer to another: you are already halfway to a TARDIS costume. I was (pleasantly) mistaken for a TARDIS at PAX last fall by multiple people. If people had played Bioshock, they knew I was Elizabeth. But the blue is so close to the “TARDIS blue”, and the black trim on a white corset looks like the window panes. I think you could wear a black belt layered over the corset and call yourself a TARDIS. I’m a Whovian and I’d accept it. 🙂

Also, I love both steampunk Ariel options. I would argue that the purple and green is more recognizable as Ariel. Without the illustration, I’m not sure I would have identified the peasant dress mod as Ariel. I think I would just see a very cool steampunk dress. It might help having other steampunk disney characters alongside.

• Tyraenna
      February 25, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Hah, good point on the Elizabeth costume / TARDIS parallel! I hadn’t thought of that. Not sure what I am making after Rainbow Dash, but Ariel seems to have a lot of votes regardless of Steampunk or pink dress version. 🙂 What’s the next cosplay you are working on?