I was a busy bee this weekend! In the best sense of the phrase, though 🙂
Friday night, I got together with Sally and Kelly to relax, hang out, and sew. Or in Kelly’s case, knit. Everyone was productive. Kelly did some research and some knitting of some socks to give one of her costumes an upgrade. Sally turned a cross stitch from a night of parenting hell into a pouch filled with profanity. And then she made a headband, which was much less amusing. I grabbed one of the random remaining flannel fabric cuts I have, and turned it into pajama pants. I discovered I like having pre-washed and cut projects like this on hand. Anyway, now I have happy pink turtles (that sadly do not glow in the dark). I was also productive enough to cut the fabric for my next tunic project.
We watched some British shows and My Little Ponies on Netflix while we worked. A good evening with good company!
Saturday morning, I went to Jo Ann’s with Elizabeth and Kelly. I was there shopping for the beginnings of a My Little Pony costume. Although I have sketched out all of the looks I want for the whole group of ponies, the costume I am most excited about and planning to make first is Rainbow Dash. I have recently decided to attend a convention in March (Megacon 2014, for those who care), and my goal is to get this project finished by then.
Step 1: BUY ALL THE THINGS!
Jo Ann’s had a nice 20% your entire purchase (including sale items) deal going on. I had a list. It was a match made in heaven.
Against my better judgement, I decided the skirt and jacket for the costume would be made of satin. I hate few things as much as I hate sewing with satin. And yet, I made this decision. Surely I will regret it later. Jacket fabric is in the top left of the picture, with a rainbow ribbon sitting on top. I recently decided this would be a cute stripe to place from the collar to the end of the sleeve. The jacket fabric is sitting on top of some blue craft form that I purchased for making pony ears and pegasus wings. On the left, there is a stack of ribbons in each color of the rainbow. These will be part of a cloud brooch that holds the skirt together. The gold shiny fabric nearby is the waistband of the skirt, and the other piece of blue satin underneath, this time with sparkles, is the top layer of the skirt. The layer below will be a base of white satin, with eyelet lace tiers sewn on, simulating a cloud. The various colors of brocade that are shown will be the panels of the corset. The blue one I bought a little more of, since the dark side will be used for the main panels, and the light side will be used for the cup. Appropriate colors of thread were purchased, as well as some gold bias tape. All the way on the right of the right picture, are some crystal bead strands. I intend to hand sew these onto the corset panels. Just because I feel like driving myself crazy.
STEP 2: MAKE ALL DA PATTERNS!
By the time I got home with this, I was very excited. Elizabeth and I decided to draft corset patterns. I’m still trying to convince her that the process of making one is not the horrible thing we once thought it to be. After the decidedly humbling and hopefully-diet-motivating measuring process, we followed the corset drafting process outlined here, at Your Wardrobe Unlock’d.
Elizabeth reminds us that pattern drafting involves MATH and that calculators are of the utmost importance. Also, the giant L-square ruler she is using is super helpful.
On the other hand, Talon dog is not quite as helpful. Unless you need a dose of cute.
I used the same tutorial the first time I did this exercise, prior to making my ice fairy and Elizabeth corsets. However, I found going through the process a second time to be even more enlightening, as I was no longer following blindly. Why did I make my pattern again? There were two options in the tutorial, and the first time, I opted for drafting the simpler version. This time I made the more complicated one, and even modified it slightly so that I can make 3 different types of corsets with the pattern pieces.
Here is my finished paper, with grids and lines. I added some extra notes in dotted lines.
Then you take a second sheet of paper and trace over the first one, making separate pattern pieces. In some cases, like mine, you have to do this because the lines for multiple pieces cross over each other (in the bottom center). But it seems like a good idea regardless, because then you can make multiple types of corset pattern pieces.
Above is the version I will be using for my Rainbow Dash corset (and for many of the other pony costumes if I do them). I also made pattern pieces that will work for a waist cincher, and for a version of the corset without a separate cup. Pardon the random ponies, Daleks, and coins holding down the edges of the tissue paper. I have a giant roll of tissue paper for patterning, so it was curling in the most unruly way.
Stay tuned for the next steps of the costuming process! Muslin mockup practice is coming soon!