Now that MegaCon has come and gone, I took a bit of a break from sewing last week, except to do one small project.
I’m in that phase of my life where lots of my friends are having babies. Still marriages happening as well, but more in the baby phase. Anyway, one of my really good friends who is due to be giving birth to a baby girl sometime within the next month asked me if I would make her a baby blanket. Of course!
Here’s a picture of Michelle and I from … at least 10 years ago, while we were both at college. Even though she and her husband John live all the way on the opposite coast from us now and we only see them maybe once a year, the four of us hung out so much in college that we still consider them to be some of our best friends. Can’t wait to meet your new baby girl, John & Michelle! 🙂
I asked Michelle to pick out the fabric, and she knew she wanted either reds or purples. I sent her some suggestions from Fabric.com and she chose this Purple Owl Minky. After she selected that, I picked a matching satin for the back, this one. The satin is a little bit thicker than ones I have worked with (in fact, I might have to order some for corset linings, it’s very nice weight), and I didn’t notice until I had it that it the washing instructions were “dry clean”. In general, I don’t dry clean very many things. Comforters, or super fancy dresses, etc. So I decided to cut the blanket pieces for both the minky and the satin, and wash them to see how much shrinking occurred. I cut extra satin, about 5″ on each side around the minky, so that if it did shrink horribly, it might still be usable. Here is the fabric before going in the wash.
I washed both fabrics in cold water, and then put them in the dryer on med-high heat. My dryer has a “Shrink Guard” button I can select, which I pretty much always have pressed. Upon taking the fabrics out of the dryer and laying them out, they did not appear to shrink at all! Huzzah for washable blankets, as I am sure moms can appreciate.
So I set to work sewing. The project only took me an hour or two. I ironed, folded, and pinned down the sides, like below, one at a time. Then I stitched them down.
In between stitching each side, I did some corner magic. With a bit of ironing and folding, you can get the corners to square off nicely. Then I began at the very corner, stitched down the folded line, and turned the blanket in my machine to continue the straight line of stitches for the next side.
Rinse and repeat this process a couple more times, and you have a blanket! My friend, Amanda has made blankets like this before, and she gave me the awesome tips on how to do the corners. She also sent me to this tutorial link, which has some hints on sizing if you need it (I did hehe).
Once thing I learned is that I should probably be a little bit more exact with my measuring and folding on the satin piece, as I’m pretty certain the purple binding is not the same width on all sides. But I think it’s close enough. One more final shot of the blanket folded up before I sent it off in the mail.
I just can’t get over how adorable those owls are. And I love the color palette – lime green, some gray, lavender, purple, and a light aqua. Hope it gets to you before the baby arrives, Michelle! 😀