To Boldly Sew Where No Geek Has Sewn Before

Well, that would be lying.  I’m sure lots of geeks have sewn lots of Star Trek things.

To be more truthful, the title should actually be “To Boldly Sew Exactly What I Just Sewed Last Week.”  Or even a few days ago.  But I won’t get lost in the details.

For item number three in my Spacey Summer Sewing Series, I made a Star Trek tank top to wear with the Star Trek side of my reversible skirt.  It was based on the same pattern that I drafted for the Star Wars tank I made before it, though the appliques were different.

Honestly, I made almost two Star Trek tanks.  I began the first one with some woven scrap fabrics (the base was a moleskin I used for these pants which were part of my Steampunk costume) and a black remnant fabric I’ve had forever.  The communicator symbol was made with some gold lame leftover from Rainbow Dash.


I went to try on the tank top, and realized I had made an error – my pattern was drafted assuming I was going to use stretchy knit fabric.  Since I built this tank out of woven fabric, there was no way it was going to fit without a zipper or something.  Which I had not installed.  Thankfully, I had red and black knits on the way, so I just decided to make a second tank.  The red knit was a bit brighter than I wanted; the moleskin color would have matched a little bit nicer to the skirt, and the show/movies.

This tank was put together the same way as the Star Wars one was, only I didn’t use any heat and bond for the appliques this time.  My process was:

1.  Underline front and back pieces.

2. Attach appliques to front.

photo 1 (2)

3. Sew front and back pieces together.

4. Try it on and add darts to the bust area.

5. Stitch bias tape around the collar and armholes.

6. Hem

I had some difficulties with my zigzag stitch while attaching appliques.  It seemed to be skipping stitches randomly, seen below.

photo 2 (2)

Also, twice my thread seemed to get locked up and tangled strangely.  I don’t know if the two issues are related.  Rethreading the machine and winding a new bobbin did not fix my problem, but thankfully I didn’t need to continue zigzag stitching much longer.  Here’s a shot of the second lockup thread disaster.


I added darts to the bust on both the Star Wars tank and this one because of some weird fit issues.  Note the extra space around the armpit area in the photo below.

photo 3 (3)

The space was easily fixed with some darting.

photo 4

Sorry for all the awkwardly close photos of my chest.  They aren’t good quality either since they were taken with my phone.

On thin I did do differently was the bias tape size.  I used single fold tape for the Star Wars tank, but I used double fold here.


As you can see I have a bit of wavy seam syndrome going on here where the small zigzag stitching was used on the appliques.  Ironing fixed the worst of it.  Here is the finished product, with the skirt!


Somewhat ironically, the red in the skirt does not show up that well against the black.  Regardless, I will be boldly wearing this outfit whenever I can!


4 comments for “To Boldly Sew Where No Geek Has Sewn Before

  1. May 12, 2014 at 8:12 am

    Cute outfit! I’m not sure what could be causing those skipped stitches – I would have bet money that it was the bobbin. Did you use a ball point needle? Hm. Anyway, it came out great. You look fantastic!

    • May 12, 2014 at 8:21 am

      Yep, ball point needle and everything. And I totally agreed with you on the bobbin. Bobbins are the root of all evil it seems.

  2. May 13, 2014 at 6:54 am

    That’s a realy nice outfit. I often get those lockups if the fabric isn’t fed through the machine properly. I’ll sometimes have to pull the fabric through manually, especially if it is thin fabric and a small stitch.

    • May 13, 2014 at 7:13 am

      Interesting. I didn’t feel like there was anything odd about the fabric feed, but stranger things have happened. Thanks for the info!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: