It’s official – this Lady Amalthea dress takes the prize for fastest costume I’ve sewn yet. I would estimate that including the patterning process, it took about 8 hours. I didn’t even have to refill the bobbin thread once!
When I pieced the dress together, I left openings in the side seams for pockets (hooray for planning out how I might carry important things like my phone …). I had a hard time figuring out how to layout the pieces before the dress was together, so I waited. Below is a shot of how I pinned the pockets to the dress. Then I pulled the pieces through to the wrong side of the dress, put them right sides together and stitched around the edges. Quite easy!
After pockets, it was time for sleeves. I stitched the underarm seam and hemmed the angled wrist ends. Then I pinned the sleeves to the dress, starting by lining up the side seam to the underarm seam, especially since the dress is off the shoulder. Once the sleeves were attached, I clipped the excess off at the top.
Next up, elastic casing had to be sewn. I couldn’t do this in the standard way because I had installed the invisible zipper in the center back last time. So I modified the casing to begin at each side of the zipper. When I inserted the elastic, I stitched the ends down to the zipper. After that, I attached a pink scalloped ribbon to the top edge of the elastic, very carefully, making sure not to stitch over the elastic (just get the edge of the casing) and making sure to pull the elastic taught as I stitched so that it would still stretch.
And that was that – dress complete! Well technically I still have to hem it, but I haven’t figured shoes out yet, so I’ll wait a bit. Here’s some photos (though they are before I attached the ribbon).
And of course, I had to test out the pockets!