And now for a short intermission during our Nasus costume posts. Why? Because I have completely emptied the 16 oz bottle of gesso onto my armor pieces (which is about 4-5 coats of the stuff on each piece). Apparently that will not be enough, at least for the Wonderflex pieces. So now I wait for my new bottle to arrive.
But no point in wasting valuable costuming time! Three weeks from today is the first day of DragonCon programming (we’ll be arriving earlier that week in Atlanta though). I have a giant list of things to do in that time frame, so in between Gesso coats and after I ran out, I did a lot of work on my props.
For Hades, I’m already thinking of poses. And I wanted to do something like this:
An exasperated look while strangling his minions, Pain and Panic.
Which means I needed some minions.
I bought a lot of Sculpey clay last time I went to the fabric store. For Panic, I ultimately used 4 light turquoise bricks and less than half of a darker turquoise brick. For Pain, I used 7 bricks of magenta and 1 deep purple brick. For good measure, I watched Hercules on Netflex while I worked.
I made these guys in pieces. They each needed a neck piece to be hidden in my fists during the photo, and all the appendages would also need to be hot glued down once the Sculpey was cooked. I didn’t go into great detail in the fingers and toes, because I think the point gets across just fine without it.
After baking and hot gluing the pieces together, I had two little demon minions.
Realistically, Panic’s neck is slightly too long, and Pain’s could stand to be lengthened, but I was nearly out of clay. As it was, I had to hollow out Pain’s head and body in order to have enough. I am terrified of traveling with these guys … gonna have to pack them nicely with bubble wrap and stuff. Those tails …
And just to make sure, they do in fact work for the pose.
When those guys were finished, I worked on my prop for Lady Amalthea – a fake mirror to hold, with a reflection of her in unicorn form. I started with a small wooden cutting board with a handle, and added three strips of metallic plumbing tape to be the “mirror”. Then I began painting. I opted for blue for the mirror, since it was pastel and will match well enough with Amalthea’s dress. And I did multiple coats of acrylic on the metallic tape. Here is what it looks like right now – probably needs another layer of the blue paint.
I might take a puffy paint pen and make a decorative design around the outside of the mirror tape; as it is, I think the transition from wood to the “mirror” is odd looking.
Glad I got these done, those were two large items off of my plate!