The Nasus Saga: The Painting Process

So painting this Nasus armor is taking forever.  I started at least a week ago, and I am not done.

After finishing with the Worbla, I had to do something to smooth out the plastic pieces.  I read that applying several coats of Gesso, and then sanding it down would work great.  Here are my Gesso’d up armor bits.

photo 1 (4)

I went through a whole 16 oz bottle of Gesso, which put 4ish coats on the pieces.  For the Wonderflex, this was barely hiding the rough patterning.  I ordered more Gesso, and tried sanding down one of my bracers with a little mouse sander using about 80 grit sandpaper to start with.  In retrospect, I probably should have gone to a higher grit, maybe 120.  Anyway, it helped smooth out the piece, but still did not reduce the visibility of the pattern much.  Below the piece on the left has been sanded and the piece on the right has not.

photo 2 (4)

I threw another coat on everything and two more on the piece I had just sanded.  I decided not to sand down the rest of the pieces because I felt like it pretty much undid all the work I had done to cover the textures, without improving things.  I’m still wondering what I did wrong because so many people seem to swear by this method.

For my axe pieces, I did some more reading and found that a few folks suggest wood filler before Gesso.  So out to Lowe’s I went, and returned home and then covered my axe pieces in wood filler.

IMG_1040

I used a pretty thick coat of the stuff since the Wonderflex texture was proving to be a hassle.  After letting it dry, I did sand this down, using 120 grit sand paper.  Then I painted it with a couple coats of Gesso.  I think I’m happier with it, but I don’t feel like wood filler is realistic for all my pieces with this time frame.  Maybe next time?  Anyway, I started spray painting my armor pieces as they were out in the garage.

photo 2 (2)

After a couple coats to make sure I got all the edges and enough of the insides, I pulled some pieces inside and began some detailing work with gold puffy paint.  I have felt like this armor is a little plain for my tastes, so I added a bit of a design to some bits of it.  Oh, and the beetle on my bracer needed legs.

IMG_1041

As that dried a bit, I tried my hand at weathering.  I didn’t want to do too much of this, just get a general idea of how it would look, so that when the puffy paint was completely dry, I could continue weathering. I tried a dry brushing technique, and I don’t think it’s working quite the way I’d like.  Once things are dry, I’m going to add some water to my acrylic paints and do more of a wash and wipe down the crevices with damp paper towels thing.  Color wise, I am using black and forest green mixed together.  Below is the weathering trial on the bottom of this piece, since the top has puffy paint drying.  Something about it is just … off.  Hopefully the other technique helps things out.

IMG_1042

There may not be a post on Thursday, since this painting is just taking forever.  I’ll try to find something to share with you all though.  Here’s to a productive week!

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: