No, I’m not quite organized enough to have started packing yet. Plus, I have been sick the last few days, which makes me lazier. Anyway, this post is about how and what we pack for DragonCon.
- Each of my costumes gets its own clear, shallow bin once it is complete. It’s an easy way to keep all the pieces together.
- The Nasus costume will have a larger bin than usual because of all the armor bits.
- I pack a costume repair kit of sorts that includes various tapes, extra batteries, glues, fishing wire, needle & thread, and this year I’ll probably throw a few worbla and wonderflex scraps in there. I probably won’t both to bring my heat gun, since in a pinch I suspect a hair dryer from the hotel will work.
- My makeup kit always comes with, and this year I’ll be adding my airbrush to it. I might try to separate out the make up bits I need for each costume into their own kit, including the contacts.
Drinks, Snacks, & Other Supplies
- Our snack of choice to bring to DragonCon is home made beef jerky. I’m hoping to make some this weekend for the trip.
- Drinks at DragonCon are pricey. Much more efficient to bring your own and carry it around in a flask or water bottle or camel pack.
- I might make some more vodka infused gummy bears this year for a snack.
- In the past we have taken liquor to mix drinks with, but that becomes a bit of a hassle. The only time I felt like that worked out was with the chocolate covered pretzel shots (Frangelico and whipped cream vodka, with a lick of salt off your hand first). I think this time we might stick to beer / cider and wine for ease.
- At the con hotels, the ice machines are empty pretty much all the time, as lots of folks bring coolers to fill. We will bring a cooler as well, though we may buy a bag of ice to throw in it on Thursday. It’ll be interesting to see how the non-convention hotel compares in terms of ice I guess.
- This year we are bringing Jesse’s small Tardis refrigerator to plug in and keep a couple of drinks cold. We’ll see how that works out.
- It’s easy to get dehydrated at the con, so I intend to take some bottled water with us, though I’m not sure how easy it will be to carry with me while I’m in costume.
Are you a frequent con-goer? Do you have any tips or tricks for surviving a convention that you’d like to share?