I’ve been slowly working on a dress for my mother-in-law to wear to the Renaissance Faire we are going to near the end of October, using Butterick 4571 for a pattern.
Like a lot of the things I make, I can’t seem to leave well enough alone – I have to embellish. I also blame some of the craft room reorganizing since I likely only did this because I found the trim and fabric remnants. Anyway, I added an applique to the center front piece of the dress. It seemed too plain. Enter the leftover gold lame fabric from Rainbow Dash and some very pretty trim that just happened to match the burgundy crushed panne velvet fabric perfectly.
Can I just say that I hate how there is such a discrepancy in the length of that right red piece?? It will be fine, the dress is quite long anyway and needs to be hemmed. But oye. Anyway, here is a closer shot of the trim.
I also have finished the bodice of this dress, with a nice satin lining (yep, still hate sewing with satin…). It’s a slightly different burgundy, but hey, it’s lining. And it was in my stash, so hooray for using it! Here is an in progress shot of the bodice, also showing the lining on the left.
This is coming together pretty well, but not without problems. I’ll spare you the details, but the bodice connection to the skirt left a good two inches extra on each side of the bodice. I have fixed it for now, without cutting it completely off – it’s hidden inside the lining until I can do a fitting with the wearer in a couple of weeks.
I hope to get the sleeves done this weekend – they look complicated and are lined. The inside of some bell pieces on the ends will be done in the white rose print. Should tie together nicely. I don’t know how much time I’ll have to work on this during the week as work is super busy as the moment. But next weekend for sure.
That’s it for today – short and sweet. Happy Monday!