First week back to work in the New Year. Also first week back to sewing and costuming, so naturally a lot of mental attention is currently being spent on that, too. Except that I wound up on a work trip this week. With lots to do even in the evenings.
But even with all that, I decided to bring along some small bits of my costume projects that I could work on quickly and on the road.
For instance, last night I designed a choker necklace for my Fluttershy costume, and I brought beads and wire with me so that I could sit and start working on it while I watched TV before bed. I didn’t get super far into the beadwork as I ran out of beads, but I did finish a few key pieces of the necklace that will wind up getting worked into the finished product before all is said and done. Here is what I have so far:
The above butterfly piece will be front and center on the choker, and the little cone shaped crystals will be some light dangles around the bottom edges. Here is the design I sketched on some high quality hotel bedside paper. Top is the goal for general shape around my neck, bottom is a more close up design of how I want pieces laid out.
I also ordered more beads and wire and crimp beads. I’m pretty happy that the color of many of the leftover pale blue / periwinkle beads from the ice fairy costume jewelry match the accent color on Fluttershy’s cutie mark, so I can use them as I see fit in my necklace.
I also brought the skirt pattern that I intend to use for Fluttershy so that I could cut out the pieces I need, and if I get far enough, the fabric came with me too for cutting.
The top of this costume will likely be patterned by me, but I am not going to reinvent the wheel on a ruffle skirt when I can get a pattern for $1-$2. I might decide to leave off the bottom (5th) layer. I bought a very pretty knit fabric that is partially sheer. It was on sale for $5 a yard at Jo Ann’s, which seems pretty good to me. Not sure yet if I will layer some satin or something beneath the sheer knit, but I think with multiple ruffle layers, it might be okay, and knits are just so much more comfortable than wovens. Isn’t it pretty? I’m not as good at researching and choosing the perfect fabric for my costumes as my friend Meris over at The Fabric Alchemist, but a lot of the time when I see the fabric that is perfect for my vision, I just KNOW. I couldn’t have told you about that fabric beforehand, but once I have laid eyes on it …
I should have enough fabric left after cutting the skirt to cut two fingerless gloves from this same material. I didn’t take a picture of that pattern – sorry – but it also included a mini top hat pattern that I am making for this costume. Pardon the cardboard in the photo below, I was protecting my table from the fray check.
I’ll be using the same fabric for this top hat and the waist cincher that is coming down the road. I cut it those pieces last week, so they are home waiting on me. I love this swirly pattern brocade – I think in the Rainbow Dash waist cincher, the purple I used had this same design. I didn’t really love the yellow I used on that one, so I was SUPER happy to find this. And it was during the holiday sale time frame so I got a nice deal on it too.
Also, over on Kelldar’s blog, I read about an app called Cosplanner earlier this week. So I decided to download that and try to use it this year to track each costume’s expenses and progress, etc. Seems pretty nifty so far, here are some screenshots of it. Main page allows you to add multiple cosplays to your list, and add reference photos to them.
And then if you go into each cosplay, you can add items you need to buy or make. You can track costs on the bought items and how much time / % complete the costume is for the made items. This is way better than just taking notes for all this stuff on my phone, and since I’ve wanted to track this stuff for a while, this is just perfect. I’m probably late to this party honestly, but better late than never!
It’s not a lot of progress for the first week, but it’s better than nothing! Especially when I’m trying to squeeze two costume builds into 3.5 months this time … but it does feel good to be working on a costume again 🙂