I have never made a pair of gloves before. But surprisingly, I was not too frightened about the idea based on the pattern I was using – McCall’s 6975, the same one I used for my Fluttershy hat. First off, these are fingerless gloves, and let’s face it that is the scariest part of gloves anyway.
After looking at the pattern, I discovered I pretty much needed to cut a single piece of fabric for each glove, and put bias tape around it. Not bad at all. That is actually a slight modification to the pattern, because it calls for you to line the gloves (two pieces of fabric each). Since my fabric was sheer, I didn’t want to ruin the look by lining them, knowing how quicky the sheer gets lost with layers, like in my skirt.
After cutting, I started with bias tape. I ironed all the kinks out of my bias tape, and decided to stitching it down one side at a time to be sure I didn’t miss any bits of fabric going around the many many curves involved in this glove.
The process of attaching the bias tape was a bit tedious, but not difficult work. When done, each glove looked about like this.
I ironed down the bias tape in some of the nastier curves. This was one of the few patterns where I marked the back of the fabric during cutting. I needed to know where the buttons and buttonholes should go. Definitely do this part! Also, because the fabric is very fragile and sheer and stretchy, I ordered some tearaway embroidery stabilizer to help during the buttonhole sewing.
It worked wonderfully, although tearing it away from the fabric was a bit terrifying each time. I got through the whole process with zero hole or tears in the fabric, thankfully. Once buttonholes were stitched, I used a seamripper to open the buttonholes carefully, like below.
The pin above prevents you from just splitting all the buttonhole threads and cursing a lot. Also, note I am not using trusty old Fred (my fancy seam ripper with a light and magnifying glass) here. The tiny seam rippers that come with your sewing machine seem to work better here, Fred doesn’t play nicely with the pin at the end.
Sewing buttonholes and attaching buttons was a long process due to changing the machine feet so much and dealing with the stabilizer. I also had two different sizes of buttons. I ordered a set of multicolored butterflies (two sets actually) from Amazon, hoping to get enough pink butterflies for all of the button spots. However, I wound up with a total of four butterflies. Grumble. I put them in the two most visible spots and bought some cheaper buttons to fill out the rest of the arm buttons. Furthermore, I actually eliminated a button at the very end with the thickest strap because I didn’t have enough buttons and didn’t think it would matter. It worked out fine – I just put the button and the buttonhole in between the spots the pattern told me to.
So after about 4 and a half hours of sewing, I had completed my gloves! Hard to get a good picture of them, so here is one from several angles.
I love them. I will almost certainly be making more pairs of these to wear all the time lol. I did a couple other minor things this week – glued a sparkly ribbon around my parasol and attached a butterfly…
… and turned the cutie mark pin butterflies blue in the center! I wound up mixing some blue, red, and white fabric paint to get the color I wanted and just painted it on with a brush. I went with this method because I had all the materials in the craft room already – bonus! Thanks for the ideas y’all gave though 🙂
I’ve moved right along to working on the waist cincher. More on that soon!