Rather than making a pattern, I decided to copy a top I bought at a ren faire for wearing with a waist cincher. Mostly I liked the sleeves, but there is elastic around the collar and below the bust line. I decided not to copy the front tie part.
After a little bit of measuring and marking on the fabric, then cutting, I settled into the following pieces. Sorry for the weird perspective on this photo, I took it upside down hah. I had pieces for the front and back of the top, a sash piece to make the underbust elastic casing, six slightly curved pieces for sleeve ruffles, and two base pieces for the sleeves.
There was nothing difficult to sew about this top. Just lots of narrow hems and then serging pieces together where it made sense. The most complicated part was attaching the ruffles to the sleeve piece … and that was not too hard at all. I serged the edges where the connection stitching would occur, with my thread tensions offset so that a slight gather would occur. Then I connected the ruffles to the base sleeve piece.
When all that was done and the shirt was connected at all of its seams, I rolled over a casing for the collar area and inserted some elastic. And then I hemmed the bottom of the shirt. And at this point I debated if I should bother putting in the underbust elastic casing. For the moment, I decided to leave it out, and once I try on the entire costume, if I feel like the top needs a bit more structure there, I will add the elastic piece easily enough.
In case it isn’t obvious, I’ll be wearing a tank top underneath this. Soon enough I’ll be able to do a trial run. But last I have to make wings! Cheers!