I did try to fix it first – Amanda from over at Manda Made It gave me a good suggestion to try to take the skirt up with some ruching techniques. I gave this a go on Tuesday, but decided it wasn’t going to look close enough to my original vision to continue. I also decided that if I am going to make this happen for DragonCon, I am sadly going to have to reorder fabric and start over 🙁 But I feel better about that decision than I do regarding the idea of doing this poorly for MegaCon.
Speaking of which, MegaCon is in two weeks! The schedule just came out yesterday, so expect a post on my plans sometime before I go!
Anyway, I decided since it’s not reasonable to start a new costume to replace it, I would focus on minor upgrades to Fluttershy and Hades, which I will be taking instead of Liono. When I wore Hades back in October when we went to Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party during a short weekend trip, the clay skull pin I was wearing unpinned itself, fell to the ground, and shattered on our walk from the exit of the Magic Kingdom to the Disney buses. And back during the trial run for Fluttershy, I thought I might decorate the umbrella a bit, and I also needed to modify the headband to have only one ear. So out came the Sculpey to make a new pin and the hot glue gun to attach pin backs and ears!
And after that, I pinned ten butterflies onto the umbrella. I like it even more now. It’s not even likely to get caught when I close it. I just hope they don’t detach during the con.
Then I decided the pocket on the back on Angel wasn’t going to be quite good enough for the phone and wallet. And so I made a little purse just big enough for my phone. I used this tutorial, because my bag making skills are still not the best. And of course, I used stash fabric 🙂 Here are the pieces I started with – a zipper (7″), butterfly appliques, handles, outer pouch fabric, lining, and a pocket.
The main pouch was a satin, and I turned it inside out for the lining part of the bag. First step was attaching the appliques. Once that was done, I stitched the zipper to the outer purse fabric.
A little wrinkly in a few spots, but guessing it’s because I didn’t use a stabilizer. Notice something missing? Remember those handle pieces from the first picture? Ooops. But Fred opened the seams up in a few spots and allowed me to fix this problem.
After all this, I attached lining to the opposite side of the zipper. Finally it was time to sew the pouch together. Lay the pouch so that the outer fabric pieces are right sides together and the lining pieces are right sides together. I made sure to mark where the zipper metal bits were so I wouldn’t sew over them. And voila, I had a complete pouch!
It’s not perfect, but it is cute and matches the rest of the costume, so I’ll be happy to carry it with me to hold my stuff 🙂 My hands might be full between this purse, the umbrella, and the bunny, but I will make it work!
And now I am mostly ready for MegaCon. It’s weird being ready for a con so far in advance.
So in the meanwhile, I think I’ll work on a few projects from this list I made a while back. See ya next week!