Drafting Disco Mario Party Costumes

I have been such a blogging and crafting slacker lately!  Hard to say if that will end soon or not, but oh well.

Back in April, I spent some time measuring my husband and our friend Colin so that I could draft up some Mario and Luigi costumes for our Disco Mario Party group cosplay at DragonCon 2015.  I had a measuring helper bee as well.  Here is Suzanne taking a chest circumference measurement for Colin! 

And here I am taking a side seam measurement (underarm to floor) on my husband.

Note his very efficient use of his time to also play video games on his cell phone during this process!  Also, I am not allowed to clean his man cave, so ignore the mess on the floor.

Ultimately, we took a bunch of measurements for these costumes, which will include me making hats (yay…), overalls, and disco shirts.  We might buy the gloves, or I might make them, haven’t decided yet.

And so far, I have taken some of Jesse’s measurements and turned them into a pattern for overalls.  I am planning to make his overalls first and then I will know if I need to make modifications (or even if I will need another pattern) for Colin’s. 

I’ve never sewn overalls before, but having sewn plenty of pairs of pajama pants, I based my pattern pieces off that, just extending the waistline of the pajamas up to where the overalls end, and belling out the ankles a bit for a more 70s look.

I’ll let you know how they turn out heh.  I’m terrified that my 5 yards of fabric is not gonna be enough for overalls …

 

3 comments for “Drafting Disco Mario Party Costumes

  1. May 14, 2015 at 7:49 am

    I’m so excited to see how these turn out!

     
    • May 14, 2015 at 7:54 am

      Hah thanks. I’ve never sewed sequins before, so it could be interesting …

       
  2. May 15, 2015 at 5:37 am

    This project looks like so much fun!

     

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: