Sewing with Sequins: Disco Luigi Overalls

Well, I made some progress on the Disco Mario Party cosplays this weekend!  I took the pattern I made a while back and dove right in.

Well, after I read up a bit on dealing with sequinned fabrics.

First tip on sewing with sequins?  Expect to make a mess.  Pretty much like glitter.

I was paranoid after the pattern drafting that I may not have enough fabric after buying 5 yards of each.  But I forgot that most fabric from the interwebs seems to come in large bolt widths like 58″. 
I still have plenty leftover for a hat later.

I used my rotary cutter to cut these.  While scissors work, it was much easier this way.  Here’s an example of the mess at the beginning.  It got much worse.  Really this photo kind of gives you the (wrong) impression that sequins aren’t so messy.  

When I was ready to sew, I replaced the needle in my machine with a size 12 Microtex needle, which is supposed to be extra sharp.  I had read about potentially removing sequins from the seam area before sewing, but that sounded like a lot of tedious work so I said fuck it.  Then I did some testing.

The fabric had a light stretch in one direction, so I tried both straight and zigzag stitches, depending on which grain of the fabric I was sewing.  I wasn’t too sure how to finish my seams – I didn’t want to line the whole thing, bias tape would eliminate the stretch in one direction – and they weren’t laying nicely. 

I also didn’t want to iron the sequinned fabric, even with a cover cloth.  So I decided to stitch down my seams with a zigzag stitch, to make them lay nicer on the right side.  You can’t see the thread at all, so I was happy with this method.  Lays much nicer without ironing, right?


Once I settled on my stitching tactics, i began the sewing process very similar to pajama pants.

1. Stitch the inside leg seam.

2. Stitch the u-bend seam.

3. Stitch the outer leg seam.

I felt like the fabric moved a bit in my machine while I sewed, and whichever side was on the feed dog side got a little gathered unintentionally.


I have yet to hem the bottom – need to do it with the shoes on.  And I haven’t hemmed the upper overall edge or the strap edge yet.  But good progress none the less, and without any broken or bent needles!

Look how shiny!

I decided I will not be attempting to make buttonholes or attach buttons in sequinned fabric.  I’ll probably attach the straps with velcro or buttons, and then create fake buttons with pin backs to attach them to the overalls.

The sequinned fabric for Mario is quite different than this fabric was, and the shirt fabric is different from both (no sequins).  I think the guys will want some underarmor to wear beneath their costumes to protect from the sequins’ scratchiness.

Hopefully I will get to Mario’s overalls this weekend, and then it will be time for shirts!

 

4 comments for “Sewing with Sequins: Disco Luigi Overalls

  1. June 4, 2015 at 7:35 am

    I thought about trying to make buttonholes in sequined fabric, and it made me shudder. Glad you’re not attempting that! This looks like such a fun project.

     
    • June 4, 2015 at 8:05 am

      Yeah, it makes me shudder as well. Glad we are on the sane page.

       
  2. June 4, 2015 at 8:06 am

    This looks great! And quite fortuitous- I have a hemming project coming up that involves sequins. I will need to pick your brain!

     
    • June 4, 2015 at 8:08 am

      Sounds good. Shouldn’t be too bad really.

       

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: