So maybe this Disco Mario Party project will be enough to convince me to take an actual pattern making class.
It’s easy enough to do my lazy method of pattern making for myself because I can try things on etc, but it seems that even when I am making something for my husband who is located in the same house as me, things begin to go astray somehow. Maybe this is a difference in patterning for men versus women?? Who knows?
You’ll remember last week I patterned and cut out all the shirt pieces for Mario and Luigi.
Things seemed to be going well, but once I got the shoulder seams together and the sleeves attached at the armhole, I had my husband try it on and we realized it’s (a) a little bit tight and (b) uncomfortable in the upper sleeve area, due to a weird twisting thing.
I didn’t have enough fabric left to remake shirts. So I cut down the center back of the shirt, and added in a piece of fabric to loosen the back of the shirt between the shoulders for him. Here is what it looks like after that modification.
I’m still puzzling through the other issue. I did spend some quality time with Fred ripping out the sleeve I had completed. The other sleeve is half attached via the flat sleeve method – so just at the should part of the armhole, not under the arm and down the side of the shirt.
Again, due to lack of fabric, I am considering adding a panel to the underside of the sleeve and along the side of the shirt. The overalls will hide much of the extra seams anyway.
Once I overcome some of these hurdles and get a functioning shirt, I intend to play around with the heat gun to shape the collar and shoulders. My test with the fosshape went well, and I’m hopeful that it will work the way I want it to.
Stay tuned for the resolution of this week’s sewing conundrum!