Disco Luigi: Only Details Remain

With the help of my sewing buddies and my mom, I discovered that the twisting sleeve issue on the disco shirt was likely a grainline issue with my fabric.  Who knew?  Not me, but thankfully Liz and my Mom both did and suggested the idea to recut.

During a sewing day last Sunday, I cut the sleeves anew.  The first time, I was much more concerned with saving fabric in case I didn’t have enough.  So I was positive I cut without regard for the grainline.

I also opted to ease in the sleeves, only because I didn’t want to also rip out the side seam of the shirt.  Do not underestimate the power of my lazy!

Once convinced that Jesse was more comfortable in the sleeves, I finished up the shirt by attaching the collar, applying a facing to the neckline, and hemming sleeves and shirt bottom. 

Finally, it was time for the Fosshape – the part I had been waiting for eagerly 🙂  I tried out both Deidre and a chair to hold the shirt while I applied heat with my heat gun on low setting.   

The chair worked better since Deidre is a bit more busty than my husband.  I found shaping the Fosshape to be quite easy.  After my trial, I wasn’t certain that the heat shaping would be enough to hold the collar up, but it definitely it!  I will definitely be using this again in the future – I’m sure it has tons of uses, but at the very least for shoulder / head pieces / collars I can see its utility go very far!

Even though I have not made the hats yet, I had Jesse try on the shirt with his overalls, along with a wig and his epic shoes.

Groovy, right? :D. We might look into some bling…

Now I just need to make a second shirt, and then hats.  I also need to add snaps to connect the overall straps to the pants.

Another detail I’m working on is the buttons for the overalls.  My husband recently bought a small 3D printer – the Micro 3D – in hopes that we’ll be able to make board game bits and box parts, and we thought there may be cosplay uses as well.


So I made a very basic cylinder in an autocad program, and set out little cube off to print.  I used silver plastic ink, figuring it would go best with the shiny white shirt and sequins. 

It takes a while for the printing to happen – about 8 hours at highest quality.  So I intend to set one button to print every night for a while untl I have enough :). Finished product looks like this.


After this, I might make some other props for these.  But have to finish Mario and Peach first!

 

2 comments for “Disco Luigi: Only Details Remain

  1. July 29, 2015 at 7:07 am

    I’m deeply impressed that you’re 3D printing your own buttons.

     
    • July 29, 2015 at 7:21 am

      I would be more impressed if I could do anything beyond a cylinder. Maybe someday. Need to find better software …

       

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: