Trooper Tuxedo: Trials and Tribulations

Two weeks to go!

Now that my Phasma evening attire is done, I have been able to focus on my husband’s First Order Trooper Tux.  Sadly, it took me an eternity to cut out all the pieces of this pattern, Vogue 2383.  And then, after I finally finished cutting … I actually marked all my fabric pieces!

IMG_8394

I know, what is up with that?  It all just looked so complicated I felt like I needed to do this by the book.  So I invested in a much better fabric marking system with interchangeable colored chalks and a sharpener.

As my time on this project gets shorter, I am trying to figure out which pieces of the tuxedo can be skipped.

For instance, when I realized I did not have enough interfacing for the project, I just decided to say “fuck it”.  After the Welt Pocket Disaster of August 16th (more on this in a moment), I somewhat regretted that decision.  Since my fabric is stretchy, I think the interfacing would have helped the sizing of my pocket widths stay more consistent … but as long as the welt pockets look passable, I’m ok with that.

Other pieces of the tux that might get skipped?  The sleeve lining.  I definitely want to line the main part of the coat because of all the pockets.  But lining sleeves might be an unnecessary hassle with a time crunch.  Back when I made my Steampunk coat a few years ago, I also ignored the sleeve lining, and it turns out just fine.

Back to the aforementioned Welt Pocket Disaster of August 16th.  I started by watching a you tube video about the process.  Seemed fine.  The instructions within the pattern, however, were a little bit different, and definitely confusing.

Attaching the welts was not too bad.  But the inside of the pocket was a bit more tricky based on the way they did their diagrams.

It wasn’t particularly clear if you were supposed to prep and cut the welt opening in all the pocket layers.  Logic says yes, but dammit, I need the pattern instructions to spell this shit out, especially when you tell me things like “Press this seam”.  Here’s a few layers all pinned and ready for stitching.

IMG_8522

Some extra folding was required to make this into a dual pocket.  After all the folding and some of the stitching, the inside of the jacket looked something like this.

 

IMG_8523

And then after stitching the pocket outline together and doing some ironing, this is what it looks like from the outside.

IMG_8526

Not too bad, considering all the seam ripping that happened.  And confusion.  And re-reading of the instructions.

To try and show you the inside of the pocket, here is a photo.  You can kinda see the second pocket opening if you look closely (center right of the pocket photo).

IMG_8527

Believe it or not, the second pocket still didn’t go much better.  During the last step I stitched something funny and had to use Fred. Tonight I’ll have to restitch that before starting the final welt pocket on the coat.  Wish me luck!

 

4 comments for “Trooper Tuxedo: Trials and Tribulations

  1. August 18, 2016 at 8:58 am

    Good luck!

     
    • August 19, 2016 at 8:57 am

      Thanks, heh! I’ll need it!

       
  2. August 19, 2016 at 6:21 pm

    Uh oh, you had to say “fuck it!” Shit got serious. The pocket looks nice! I kept wondering exactly what a welt pocket looks like, and now I know. This is an ambitious project, for sure.

     
    • August 21, 2016 at 9:23 am

      Well, my welt pockets are probably not the best examples for you to reference. I think they don’t work well with stretchy fabric (use the recommended interfacing heh).

       

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: