Ok, so maybe “tasteful” isn’t the right word to describe the First Order trooper tuxedo I’ve been working on. Perhaps “trendy” would be better? It’s definitely not “typical”.
My husband thinks it looks like it belongs to Hugh Heffner. I don’t know if he was complimenting my design skills or not. :/
I mean, the fabric has a lot to do with it. It should be super comfy to wear, especially since there is no interfacing in it at all – the nice stretchy knit fabric will remain stretchy 🙂 But it is white with sparkle-y zebra stripes on it, so I can understand his Heffner association…
Anyway. I finished the jacket of the tuxedo last weekend. Well, except for the button. I was really hoping to find a neat First Order symbol button, but alas Etsy didn’t have any. And I have no time to make one. If I was skilled at the software, I would try to 3D print one with our little printing dude upstairs, but again… no time.
I did at least find him some swanky shoes and a First Order Trooper bowtie 🙂 Here is a shot of the shoes! Sorry it is a bit blurry.
It turns out the worst part of the jacket was those silly welt pockets. I’m not convinced that the third upper pocket should have a flap on it. I repeatedly looked in the instructions to see if that was only for View A (I did View B), but found nothing of the sort. All said and done, I will probably turn the flap inside the pocket heh.
I did leave out the inside welt pockets on the lining pieces of the tuxedo. Just for time’s sake. He has three on the outside, plus a few pockets in the pants. And I did not wind up lining the sleeves of the jacket. So I attached the coat lining at the underarm seam and pressed on.
Thankfully, the sleeves fit my husband well – I didn’t even have to hem them again. But I did lengthen the sleeves a bit from the original pattern because Jesse is tall. I can only hope this works out for the length of the pants too. Ignore the t-shirt he is wearing under it, and the way it looks longer on one side of the jacket. That is a trick of the camera and will go away once the button is attached.
I did start the sewing of the pants as well. It was going swimmingly for a while, until I got to the (non-welt) side pockets. It’s possible I just have a Pocket Problem ™.
On this one I blame on the instructions, too. But I think I decided that my biggest issue with instructions is that I try to follow them blindly. I do just fine when I make my own patterns and think completely through the way and order I need to sew things for it to work out. But when I read instructions, I just expect them to do that thinking for me. And they often don’t communicate it in a way that makes sense to me. Hence my repeated issues. Not to mention their pictures do not match up with their words!
Anyway, I resolved this Pocket Problem with my seam ripper and then thinking through what I needed to do spatially in order for the pocket to get sewn on correctly. And voila! Working pocket.
I have to admit I did not realize that the pants would have a stripe down the side of them. BUT IT’S AWESOME!! Just makes the tux that much more tantalizing. Here I am holding up the pants to myself in a manner similar to how they will look when done heh.
Next I finish the other leg of the pants, and then move on to the waistband (which I anticipate being a large PITA, much like the pockets). Oh, and for the record, I totally skipped the back of the pants’ welt pockets. For both time and sanity’s sake. I was going to skip the underlining on the pants, but it was supposedly needed for the side pockets. I am not convinced that it was needed after having sewn one side of the pants with it included. :/