Plentiful Problems with Pants

After my experience with Vogue 2383, I am not sure I will ever purchase a Vogue pattern again.

The good news is that I show up to DragonCon with a First Order Trooper Tuxedo completed.

The bad news is that I spent ridiculous amounts of agonizing hours debating the following:

  1. Why does this pattern have a left waistband, right waistband, left waistband facing upper, right waistband facing upper, left waistband facing lower, and left waistband facing lower?  SO MANY UNNECESSARY PIECES.
  2. Which piece is which in the various terrible diagrams?  In like, the first instruction, they label a piece by its unique NUMBER.  In all subsequent instructions, you read the confusing names I listed in #1, which all connect to each other.
  3. For the love of all that is holy, what were the instruction writers tripping on when they drew the diagrams?
  4. Why did I spend so much time marking my fabric pieces?  The use of this was minimal except for pockets.
  5. What is the purpose of an underlining on pants?  I thought it might be to support the side pockets, but after stitching it in, other than thickening the amount of fabric I am sewing so that needles will bend and break easier, I see no reason for this piece.
  6. Also, why do the pieces sometimes get called out in capital letters (as in the top instruction below) but later on just use normal lettering (as in the two subsequent instructions)?
IMG_8737

Notice the 42 in the top diagram (which piece is 42, btw, the white or the gray?), and the distinct lack of any numbers in the subsequent diagrams. These diagrams? Clearly not the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Fred was a busy little seam ripper during this project.  Ultimately, I did NOT figure out the waistband instructions.  I just got far enough into the waistband sewing, that I knew how I could stitch the rest of it to finish it up.  The extra facing pieces seemed weird, but I probably sewed them on wrong or something.  Whatever.  PANTS!

IMG_8769

I could go on about this, but you get the general idea – I had a lot of issues with these instructions.  Even the way the pants were stitched together was odd … the crotch seam was not stitched all the way until AFTER the waistband stuff was attached part of the way.

But here is the final product!

IMG_8795

And a close up of the cute bowtie my Trooper will be wearing (which I apparently put on him upside down for this test run).

IMG_8796

Trooper recursion!

After this, I had lots of odds and ends to complete, not to mention packing.  I managed to make a few gold question mark blocks for the boys for the Mario Party costumes.  I remade a pin for Peach, and also did some repair work on the crown.  I will have to brush and maybe style the wig a bit once we are at the convention too.  I opted to make minor modifications to my Ice Fairy corset and brought that as my third costume this year.  And I had JUST enough time to add a bit of a cape and a First Order symbol to my Phasma cosplay.

I think the plan is to wear Disco Mario Party on Friday night, Galactic Gala Star Wars on Saturday night, and if I’m feeling up to it, Ice Fairy on Sunday.

Now all of you think healthy thoughts our way because we’ve been fighting numerous colds since we returned from Alaska, and we are (a) afraid we might have caught something new this week and (b) if we didn’t that we WILL catch the con crud … 😛

 

2 comments for “Plentiful Problems with Pants

  1. Aunt Patty
    September 1, 2016 at 8:05 am

    Have a wonderful time! Hope you all feel better — your costumes are amazing! XOXOXO

     
  2. September 1, 2016 at 3:52 pm

    Can’t wait to see the photos! Enjoy your weekend.

     

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: