Over a year ago now, when we announced our pregnancy with Lincoln, we did so with a “Baby’s First Cosplay” themed announcement.
Now that it’s fall and he is on the outside and all that, it is time for me to actually make him his first costume! Despite the various excellent options in my announcement from above, I have decided to go with BB-8. He has a tiny stuffed toy of BB-8 (a Hallmark Itty Bitty) that he loves, and it seemed a nice easy choice. I am sure there will be TONS of kids dressed up at BB-8 around this year.
I decided I would start with a pattern and modify it, so I went with Simplicity 2788. I am making the hat from the duck costume (without the bill) and the main piece of the pumpkin / ladybug / duck. This is not a tough pattern to stitch so I’ll spare you the details of the very fast sewing.
Even the hat was not too bad, although I have not slip stitched the lining layer closed yet as you can see evidenced by the hole in the photo above.
Instead of making a million appliques and spending forever attaching them to the white base, I decided painting on the BB-8 markings with fabric paint would be the best and fastest choice. Since it is not a perfect sphere, I am taking some liberties with the sizes and such – for example, making the markings a bit larger on the bottom of the costume since it is a bit more bulbous there.
I initially drew on the designs with a pen. I wanted to use a pencil but it just did not show up at all, even on the white fabric. I somewhat regret the pen because I have to paint many layers over to cover the markings :/
I am outlining in some silver puffy fabric paint to give it a bit of dimension.
The hat is pretty much finished, with the exception of the stitching to close the turning hole. I am please with it, even if it isn’t perfect. I can’t decide if I should paint a silver line along the bottom edge of the hat or not. It would make it more accurate, but since the lining doesn’t seem to want to stay on the inside of the hat, I feel like you’d wind up seeing white anyway.
I am still in the middle of painting at the moment, and once all the painting is completed and dried, I will attach the lining to the costume and finish it up with some velcro and elastic. And I intend to fill it up with some poly fill, even though I lined it with some quilt batting as well. Anything to make it into a bit more of a sphere. I’m hoping he’ll still be willing to sit for his 10 month photos (which will definitely have a Star Wars version) … he is a wiggler these days!